Saturday, February 3, 2007

Insurance Jam

I mentioned recently that my car insurance company (Progressive) notified me of a huge rate increase in my premium, and that I planned to change insurance companies.

First I called GEICO, which gave me a quote that was even higher than the increased premium Progressive was demanding. I then called Safe Auto and recevied a quote that would be $20 less than Progressive for the initial payment and $25 less each month thereafter. It sounded like the best deal I was going to get.

My Progressive policy was set to expire tomorrow night at midnight. So I called Safe Auto back today to start the new policy. Curious if the rate would be better with my wife listed as the policy owner instead of myself, I first asked for a new quote. The result was $10 more to start than Progressive wanted, and $5 more each month thereafter. The Safe Auto rep tried to tell me that it was different because of my accident last August, but I provided her with all of the same information I had provided for the first quote.

To top it all off, this Safe Auto rep was rude. Minimum coverage, maybe. Minimum customer service, definitely. I would not recommend Safe Auto Insurance to anyone.

Needless to say, I called Progressive today and renewed our policy at the increased rate, which was still lower than the competition.

No comments: